Faculty Professional Development Schedule 2013-2014 Academic Year
Unless otherwise indicated, all sessions will meet in Room 327 from 12:10-1 p.m. For more information about the faculty professional development programs contact Professor Rory Bahadur.
- Friday, 9/27: Professors Lori McMillan and Andrea Boyack, Washburn University School of Law
- Friday, 10/4: Professors Craig Martin and Emily Grant, Washburn University School of Law
"The Nuts & Bolts of Class Prep: A Comparative Perspective"
- Friday, 10/18: Professor Freddy Sourgens, Washburn University School of Law
"Necessary Diversity; The Pragmatic Pluralism of Reasonableness in the Common Law"
- Friday, 10/25, Room 119: Law Clinic Faculty
Discuss clinical teaching and how a clinical experience builds on a law students' doctrinal foundation.
- Friday, 11/15: Professor Tonya Kowalski, Washburn University School of Law
Culture Shock! Legal Writing
This faculty development presentation covers both a work in progress and a review of my teaching experience in India last summer. The work in progress is in the early planning and brainstorming stage. The hope is to write an article or short series exploring best practices for teaching legal skills abroad. Topics will probably include adapting U.S. legal writing teaching methods for use in other countries; training peers vs. teaching students; finding proficiency in teaching another country's legal system to students; and working with language and cultural barriers. The presentation about my teaching experience in India will focus on lessons learned; legal education in India; and our growing relationship with Symbiosis Law School, Pune.
- Friday, 1/24: Stephen M. Sheppard, Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Development, William H. Enfield Distinguished Professor of Law, University of Arkansas School of Law at Fayetteville