Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
Washburn Law and the Children and Family Law Center have a long-standing relationship with Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children (CASA) of Shawnee County. Students from Washburn Law regularly serve as advocates, helping to ensure that the best interests of children and youth involved in the court system because of abuse or neglect are being monitored. As CASA volunteers students investigate cases by visiting with a child or children, family members, social workers, caregivers, teachers and others. Students also monitor the orders of the court and submit reports to the court, thereby assisting the judge in making decisions regarding a child's future.
As a voice for the more than 1,200 children navigating the child welfare system in Shawnee County CASA volunteers make a lifelong difference in the lives of abused and neglected children. By serving as a CASA volunteers, Washburn Law students not only provide a consistent person/advocate for children who often move from foster home to foster home, school to school, neighborhood to neighborhood, but students also gain experience in working with the court system and the greater child welfare system, improve their communication skills, and strengthen collaboration skills.
Participation as a CASA qualifies a student for Pro Bono credit, demonstrating to employers a commitment to serve the community.
CASA training includes:
- 20 hours Self-Directed Study (i.e., studying the National CASA Training Manual)
- 20.5 hours in-class training (includes first meeting with supervisor)
- 4 hours of CINC (Child in Need of Care) courtroom observation
- 3 hours (approximately) of CRB (Citizens Review Board hearings – must observe at least one hearing)
- Individual time consulting with your supervisor
At the completion of training, volunteers will typically spend 5-15 hours per month serving as a volunteer.
Joanna Penn, Volunteer Recruiter
- Tuesday, 10/8: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, 10/10: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, 10/12: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Tuesday, 10/15: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, 10/17: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, 1/14: 5:30-8:30pm
- Thursday, 1/16: 5:30-8:30pm
- Saturday, 1/18: 9:00am-4:00pm
- Tuesday, 1/21: 5:30-8:30pm
- Thursday, 1/23: 5:30-8:30pm