Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
The Tax and Estate Planning Association at Washburn University School of Law will again assist individuals and families in the community with preparing and filing their tax returns for the 2014 tax year (to be filed by April 15, 2015). Families and individuals grossing $52,000 or less are eligible for the VITA program. All returns will be filed electronically with the IRS.
Tax assistance is is being provided this year at Washburn University School of Law (Law Library, 1st Floor, Room 125) (see map to Washburn Law) on Saturdays beginning January 31 and ending April 11, 2015, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. No appointments are scheduled, but please note that clients are helped on a first-come, first-served basis.
The following tax information, as appropriate, is needed to complete tax forms:
- REQUIRED: Birth dates and verification of social security number (SSN) for the taxpayer, spouse and any children born in the household on or before December 31, 2014. SSN verification can be a social security card or an official document from Social Security containing the FULL social security number.
- REQUIRED: Photo ID for the primary taxpayers on the return.
- REQUIRED: If a person plans on filing a joint tax return with their spouse, their spouse must physically come with them to the site or a power of attorney allowing the filing spouse to file the joint return must be completed.
- PREFERRED: A copy of your 2013 tax return.
- W-2 forms from all 2014 jobs.
- 1099-G form, if you received unemployment insurance benefits or a state refund in 2014.
- 1099-INT, if you received interest paid by a financial institution in 2014.
- All other 1098 and 1099 forms.
- Any statements received from a mortgage company during 2014.
- Any notices sent to the worker by the IRS in 2014.
- Workers with Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) should bring the ITIN card sent to them by the IRS. Workers need either an ITIN or a SSN for the Child Tax Credit.
- W-2 G Gambling Income
- 2014 Property Tax Form if claiming the Homestead Credit.
- Voided check or savings account number where a refund will be direct deposited. No deposit slips.
See the 2015 Free Income Tax Assistance brochure (171 KB PDF; requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) for more information and other Shawnee County tax assistance times and locations, and the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library website for more information about filing federal and state income taxes and tax forms.