Name Change / Update Student Information

Students who legally change their names must notify Washburn University of these changes. Name changes entered into the Administrative Information System flow through integrated systems, affecting everything from e-mail to class rosters. The following information will assist law students with the name change procedure.

Requesting A Name Change

If your name has legally changed OR you believe your name is entered incorrectly in the administrative information system, visit Donna Haverkamp, Student Records Administrator, in the Dean's Office (Room 203). You must bring at least one of the following:

  • Marriage license
  • Divorce decree
  • Social security card reflecting the name change
  • Legal name change document

In addition, a student must complete and submit the Washburn University Change of Student Information form (14 KB PDF; requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) to the Dean's Office.

Confirming Name Change

Within 48 hours of requesting a name change, expect e-mail in your old MyWashburn account providing your new MyWashburn user name and e-mail address. Please make sure this information correctly reflects your name change. If not, reply to the e-mail and return to the Dean's office to ask for assistance. Note the activation date for your new account provided in the confirmation e-mail.

Using Your New Account

On your new account activation date, the name on your account will be changed and you may begin to use the new account reflecting your name change. You will be able to use the same password.

Short URL for this page:

Current Students
Questions about the name change process for law students should be directed to Donna Haverkamp, (785) 670-1661 or
Admitted Students

Students with a change of name who have been admitted to Washburn Law but have not yet attended classes should notify Cory Payne, (785) 670-1185 or in the Admissions Office.

Generally, admitted students follow the procedure on this page but submit the information form and other supporting documentation to the Admissions Office.