Checking Your Own Criminal History: A How-to Guide

If you have a criminal history, and are less than 100% certain about all of the details, follow these steps during your first school break. All data is accurate as of March 16, 2016.

1. Get your fingerprints. Go to the Topeka Police Department (or any other local law enforcement agency) and ask for two sets of fingerprints. The cost for the fingerprints is $10 as of March 2016, and can be paid by cash, check, or credit card. The Topeka Police Department can be reached at (785) 368-9551. Its address is:

320 S Kansas Avenue
Topeka, KS, 66603
( map )

2. Get your KBI Background Check. Mail or hand deliver one of the sets of fingerprints along with a request letter and a check or money order made out to KBI for $35. This amount is valid as of March 2016; contact KBI at (785) 296-8200 to verify it is correct. The letter should indicate you want your certified review record, why you want it, and where you want it sent to. The KBI's mailing address is:

ATTN: Records
1620 SW Tyler Street
Topeka, KS 66612
( map )

3. Get your FBI Background Check. There are two options for requesting a certified FBI Background Check.

  • The first is to request your records directly from the FBI. This takes between 13 and 15 weeks and costs $18 as of March 16, 2016. You will need to obtain a money order or certified check for payment.
  • If you need a quicker response, you can submit your request to an FBI-approved Channeler, which is a private business that has contracted with the FBI to submit your request on your behalf. Contact each Channeler for costs, processing times, and availability in your area. The cost varies by Channeler, but is usually about $50.
    • One such Channeler that was recently used successfully by a student is Accurate Biometrics; the student received his report in about a week. Contact Accurate Biometrics through their website or at (773) 685-5699.

4. Investigate. Once you receive your background checks, perform an internet search for each court listed in your rap sheet. You can usually request the records associated with each incident by phone or fax; often you can choose to receive the records via email. Sometimes you will need to obtain the records in person. Each court will charge different fees for copies and research, but the cost is usually $20 or less.

5. Disclose. Disclose any new information to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs as soon as possible.