Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Admitted Students

I've been admitted. Now what?

Congratulations! If you have not already, you will be receiving your admissions packet in the mail soon! To secure your spot in the entering class, make sure to pay your seat deposit by the due date(s) listed in your official admissions letter. As well, you are required to submit a final, official copy of your undergraduate transcript. This transcript must show proof of graduation with a Bachelor's degree.

We also encourage you to attend an Admitted Student event - our Fall Open House (if you are starting law school in the spring) or our Admitted Student Day and/or our Admitted Student BBQ (if you are starting law school in the fall).

When does school start?

How do I get access to my official Washburn email address?

After you were admitted, you should have received an email with instructions on setting up your myWashburn account. If you did not receive that email, please contact the Admissions Office at (785) 670-1185.

What classes will I be taking?

A list of the courses you will be taking during your first year can be found on our "First Year Program" page.

How do I register for classes?

No need to worry about registering for your first semester classes - Washburn Law will take care of it for you! After we have officially enrolled you in your classes

  • we will notify fall starters in late July or early August.
  • we will notify January starters in mid to late December.

You will also be notified around that time of your "section" - a smaller group of students with whom you will be taking your first year courses.

Are there any resources for students with disabilities?

Washburn University School of Law provides reasonable accommodations for students who are qualified individuals with disabilities. Shelby Grau, Director of Compliance and Administration, serves as the disability services officer for the School of Law. She can be contacted at: Washburn University School of Law, 1700 SW College Ave., Topeka, KS 66621-1140, (785) 670-1455. Students requiring disability accommodations (see below for specific guidance regarding exams) are advised to contact the Director within a reasonable time prior to the date services will be needed.

What textbooks do I need for my classes?

Information regarding required textbooks and how to purchase them is posted on our website with the class schedules. Warning: do not buy your textbooks before finding out to what section you've been assigned!

What should I do to prepare for law school before I officially start? Are there assignments to complete beforehand?

Before the start of classes, we will send you information on required readings to be completed before First Week.

As well, you may find it helpful to keep your brain active by reading books on how to prepare for law school, following the news, and checking off any pleasure reading you may have been putting off! We don't officially recommend any resources, as no specific resources have been found to better prepare you for law school than others.

We also recommend having fun, relaxing, and developing healthy habits (working out or engaging in physical activity, eating right, getting plenty of sleep, and working on ways to combat stress).

Can I defer my admission to a subsequent semester?

Deferment requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. Typically, we grants requests only when unforeseen events do not allow you to begin law school in the semester in which you originally applied. Requests arising from foreseeable events are typically not granted. You can defer your seat in the class to the next semester or the next year, but deferments are not granted for longer than one year. For your deferral to occur, we require the payment of a $250 seat deposit. The only students who should consider deferrals are those who are planning on enrolling at Washburn Law, but simply cannot in the semester in which they originally applied.

May I work while in law school?

The American Bar Association strongly recommends that first year students do not work, and Washburn Law follows that recommendation. However, students are encouraged to gain legal experience during their second and third year of law school, in addition to during the summer.

How do I find out about financial aid and/or scholarships?

After you are admitted to Washburn Law, you should submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and select Washburn as a school who should receive a copy of your FAFSA report.

If your credentials qualify you for a merit-based scholarship, you will be notified of that in your official admissions packet. Paying your seat deposit will secure your scholarship. If you were not selected for a merit-based scholarship or would like to increase the amount of the scholarship you were awarded, you can retake the LSAT on a future test date (before officially starting at Washburn Law) and submit your new score to Washburn Law for scholarship consideration.

Starting in late March, financial aid packages will be sent to students. This package will include any federal loans you've been offered, along with information on the scholarship you received (if you were selected for one). You will be asked to accept your financial aid package online. If you are admitted after late March, you should receive your financial aid package a few weeks after you are admitted and Washburn Law receives a copy of your FAFSA.

Can I have a computer in class? What computer do I need? What about a Chromebook?

Each professor sets his or her own policy on whether or not to allow laptops in class. All professors allow you to take your final exams on laptop. Once you arrive, you will receive more information on how to download the exam software you'll need for finals (if you choose to use a laptop).

  • Windows: Both Windows 7 and 10 are fully supported. It is recommended to make sure both are fully up-to-date.
  • macOS (formerly Mac OS X): macOS 10.12 Sierra is recommended. However, some older Mac OS X versions will work, as well.
  • Chromebooks, Linux and mobile OSes: These devices have limited functionality for printing and using our exam software. We do not recommend the use of Chromebooks.

Where can I live?

Topeka has a wealth of housing options available, including apartments, houses for rent, and houses for purchase.

Washburn Law maintains a list of apartment reviews submitted by current students.

Washburn Law does not recommend or endorse any particular apartment complex, real estate agent, or management company.