Financial Policies

Financial Aid Counseling

Students may make an appointment for financial aid counseling with Andy Fogel, Director of Financial Aid, at

Financial Aid Disbursement/Refund Dates

Law student loans and scholarships are released to incoming and returning students according to dates determined by the Washburn University Business Office (see the Business Office website; scroll down to the Important Dates section and select the appropriate term). The funds must flow through the student accounts, and all tuition and fees must be paid first, before any refunds will be processed.

Contact Andy Fogel, Director of Financial, at in Financial Aid with questions.

Refunds will be generated daily after the initial date, up to the payment deadline each term. After the payment deadline, refunds will be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For more information see Financial Aid Refunds at the Washburn University Business Office website.

Students are encouraged to set up direct deposit.

Direct Deposit

In order to receive excess financial aid via direct deposit, students MUST enter their bank information themselves EVEN IF THEY HAVE RECEIVED REFUNDS VIA DIRECT DEPOSIT BEFORE.

Go to:

  • Choose "Students" tab
  • Choose "WU-View"
  • Choose "Electronic Refunds" tab
  • Enter your bank information and check the "REFUNDS OPTION" box.

This may be done any time throughout the semester.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees are established by the Washburn Board of Regents and are subject to change at any time by the Washburn Board of Regents. All payments are made at the Business Office of the University. Students must clear the Business Office by making full payment of tuition and fees or making acceptable arrangements for deferred payments no later than Friday of the first full week of classes. Current tuition information is available at the Tuition and Costs area of this website. Note: tuition and fees for the coming academic year are normally established in the June or July preceding the start of classes in August.

Students are able to seek an adjustment with the Washburn University Financial Aid Office for cost of attendance items. See "Appeals" on the Washburn University Financial Aid Forms webpage.

Notes About Online Payments

  • You can pay your student account online through WU-View at no cost with a webcheck or signature debit card (Mastercard or Visa logo on the front).
  • You can pay your student account online through WU-View with a credit card; the processor (PayPath) charges a 2.85% convenience fee.
  • See Washburn University Credit Card Policy.

Deferred Payments

Students who are unable to pay their account balance in full by the posted payment deadline can enroll in a payment plan through WU-View. Payment plan enrollment is open from the time charges are assessed through the payment deadline for the term. The University offers term-based payment plans that allow charges to be spread out over the term. Options are for 3 or 4 payments in fall and spring and 2 or 3 payments in the summer. At the time of enrollment, automatic payments can be set up from a bank account or charged to a credit card. For installments that are paid late or not paid in full, a $25 late fee will be assessed for each late installment.

Late Fees

Late fees will be assessed after the posted payment deadline for students with a balance who are not enrolled in a payment plan. The maximum late fee is $100 for students in 9.5 or more hours. To avoid a late fee, students should apply for financial aid and loans in a timely manner.

Failure to Pay Fees and Other Financial Obligations

Failure to pay tuition, fees, housing charges, parking fines, library fines, and emergency loans when due will result in a hold on the student account that prevents the release of grade reports, the issue of transcripts, diplomas, or bar examination certification. A hold may also prevent future enrollment.


The date used to determine the percentage of refund is the day an online withdrawal is transacted or when the withdrawal slip is processed in the Dean's Office. The activity fee and any late registration fees are not refundable.

Fall 2022 Refund Schedule

Fall Intersession

Legal Research for Legal Scholars (August 15 to August 19)

  • 100% refund: through August 15
  • 0% refund: after August 15

Advanced Evidence: Expert Witnesses (August 22 to August 27)

  • 100% refund: through August 22
  • 0% refund: after August 22

Fall Session

All Law Classes (except as noted below) (August 29 to December 16)

  • 100% refund: up until September 9
  • 40% refund: September 10 to September 16
  • 20% refund: September 17 to September 23
  • 0% refund: after September 23

Clinic: Litigation (August 29 to December 16)

  • 100% refund: up until August 31
  • 0% refund: after August 31

Spring 2023 Refund Schedule

Winter Intersession

Collaborative Law

  • 100% refund: up until January 3
  • 0% refund: January 4 thereafter

Child Advocacy Training

  • 100% refund: up until January 10
  • 0% refund: January 11 thereafter

Public Land Law

  • 100% refund: up until January 3
  • 0% refund: January 4 thereafter

Spring Session

All Law Classes (except as noted below)

  • 100% refund: up until January 27
  • 40% refund: January 28 to February 3
  • 20% refund: February 4 to February 10
  • 0% refund: February 11 thereafter

Clinic: Litigation

  • 100% refund: up until January 19
  • 0% refund: January 20 thereafter

Summer 2023 Refund Schedule

Summer Intersession

Trial Advocacy (ITAP) (May 14 to May 20)

  • 100% refund: Through May 14
  • 0% refund: May 15 thereafter

Commercial Leasing (May 15 to May 19)

  • 100% refund: Through May 15
  • 0% refund: May 16 thereafter

1st 6-week summer session (May 22 to June 29)

  • 100% refund: Through May 26
  • 50% refund: May 27 to May 30
  • 0% refund: May 31 thereafter

Cross Examination Techniques (June 3 to June 11)

  • 100% refund: Through May 27
  • 0% refund: May 28 thereafter

2nd 6-week summer session (July 5 to August 11)

  • 100% refund: Through July 7
  • 50% refund: July 8 to July 12
  • 0% refund: July 13 thereafter

Taking and Defending Depositions (July 22 to July 30)

  • 100% refund: Through July 15
  • 0% refund: July 16 thereafter

12-week summer session (May 22 to August 11)

  • 100% refund: Through June 2
  • 50% refund: June 3 to June 9
  • 0% refund: June 10 thereafter

Tuition refunds are processed according to the schedule available at the University Business Office. Tuition refunds different from that schedule are not permitted unless the course is cancelled by the University or unless an error was made by the University. No refunds will be made on late registration fees or student activity fees unless such charges have been made through an error of the University.

A student must file notice of withdrawal from any class, accompanied by written approval of the professor or an associate dean, with Donna Haverkamp, the Student Records Administrator, immediately upon dropping any course. The date of withdrawal is determined by the time the online withdrawal is transacted or when the withdrawal slip is processed in the Dean's Office. The responsibility for initiating and clearing withdrawal notices rests with the student.

If the student has an unpaid account with the University, any refund due from withdrawal may be applied on such account. If the tuition is paid on the deferred payment plan, the refund will apply to the first installment payment.

If a student is unable to complete a term in which he or she is duly enrolled, due to circumstances or an incident of such trauma and major proportions, that the student could not have reasonably been expected to possess normal capabilities necessary to complete the academic period satisfactorily or complete a University Withdrawal, the student may petition for a late/retroactive medical withdrawal. If the petition is granted, all grades for the entire semester will be changed to a "W." No costs associated with university enrollment, including tuition and fees, will be refunded unless it is shown that the student was medically unable to withdraw during the refund deadline. For more details and petition form, see (537 KB PDF).

Law school refunds are made in accordance with Washburn University policies. For additional information, please contact the Business Office, (785) 670-1156.

Short URL for tuition refunds section:

Emergency Law Student Loans

Grapic: Dollar sign on a green background.Learn About Emergency Grants.Grapic: Dollar sign on a green background.


  • Washburn Law School Association for providing the seed money for this program, ensuring that at least ten law students receive help each year, and to
  • Washburn Student Bar Association, which donated the faculty live bidding proceeds from the 2017, 2018, and 2019 Barristers’ Ball to increase the funds available by $1,745.79, so that now at least a dozen students can be helped each year and the maximum amount of the loans can be raised from $750 to $1,000.
  • 2019 Blue Tie Bar Review, which increased the funds available by $516.

Short-term emergency loans up to a maximum amount of $1,000 are available*, interest-free, to students who meet the following conditions:

  1. Able to repay the loan from personal funds within ninety days or when the student's financial aid becomes available, whichever comes first;**
  2. Have not taken an emergency loan previously that semester;
  3. Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0;
  4. Currently taking classes towards a J.D. degree, and not in their final semester of classes;***
  5. Have paid back any previous emergency loan, whether due or not;
  6. Have not defaulted on a previous emergency loan;
  7. Do not have a hold on their transcript; and
  8. Are judged a good credit risk by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
* Loans will be available to students who meet these criteria unless the limited fund becomes depleted.

** Loans taken in the spring or summer cannot automatically be repaid from subsequent financial aid by the business office, except for $200, due to federal restrictions.

*** J.D. students in their final semester and LL.M. students may be eligible for bar preparation loans, which can generally be taken six to twelve months prior to graduation. See Bar Exam Loans.

Loans not fully repaid within 90 days will result in a $25 late fee and a hold being placed on the student account. Payments returned for insufficient funds are subject to a $30 service charge, in addition to the late fee and hold on the student account.

To apply for a loan:

  1. Print and fill out the first two sections on the application (86 KB PDF).
  2. Make an appointment with Dean Lowry by calling (785) 670-1662 or emailing If she approves the form, she will fill out the Promissory Note section and both you and she will sign.
  3. Take the application in person to the Business Office in Morgan Hall, Room 103. Take your student ID with you OR email a clear scan of the form to
  4. The Business Office will tell you when you can expect your check (usually you can receive it by the next business day). It is not able to use direct deposit for these loans.
  5. You can call (785) 670-2037 or (785) 670-2038 (cashier window) to inquire if your check is ready.

For more information, please contact Associate Dean Jalen Lowry at

Current Social Security Number Required

As required by the IRS, each January Washburn University sends students a Form 1098-T, which reports eligible tuition and fee charges, along with grants and scholarships applied to the student's account. This information is needed to claim any educational deductions or credits on the student's (or student's parents') income tax return.

In order to receive a 1098-T, you must provide your Social Security Number (SSN) to Washburn.

If you have previously provided your SSN to Washburn, you do not need to submit it again. If you have not previously provided your SSN to Washburn; or if you believe your SSN is incorrect in our system; or if your SSN has legally changed, please complete IRS Form W-9S (233 KB PDF). Take the completed and signed Form W-9S to the Student One Stop in Morgan Hall, along with your Social Security card, so your information can be updated.

Note: international students who are considered to be nonresident aliens for tax purposes may receive a Form 1042-S rather than, or in addition to, Form 1098-T.

Also, please make sure all your address information is accurate and up-to-date. You can check this by going to MyWashburn, then to the Financial Services tab. On the right-hand side, under the heading "Student Account Information," is a link to review or update your current and permanent addresses.

For any other questions about your Form 1098-T, please contact the Washburn University Business Office at (785) 670-1156, or via email at

Tax Credits

The federal government has established two tax credits, the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit, intended to help offset the costs of higher education by reducing the amount of your income tax. Learn more at the Washburn University 1098-T Information page.