Image: Selected IRS tax forms.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)

VITA is being offered in-person at Washburn Law in 2024 on
Saturday, April 13 ONLY for walk-ins only.
All other appointment dates have been filled.

NOTE: VITA Clinic will be available on April 13 for walk-ins only (no appointments) and individuals who need their tax returns amended/corrected.

Walk-ins accepted on a first come, first served basis and may have long wait times.

Here is a link to the other sites in Shawnee County in 2024: 2024 Tax Brochure.pdf ( (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).

The Tax and Estate Planning Association at Washburn University School of Law will again assist individuals and families in the community with preparing and filing their tax returns for the 2023 tax year (to be filed by Monday, April 15, 2024). Families and individuals grossing $60,000 or less are eligible for the VITA program. However, the Clinic Site Directors have discretion to decide if a tax return is in scope for the Washburn Law VITA Clinic. Generally, returns will be filed electronically with the IRS.

Tax assistance is being provided this year at Washburn University School of Law (1st Floor, Common Area) (see map to Washburn Law) on selected Saturdays and one Sunday in February, March, and April from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (doors close at 4:00 p.m.). Preferred entrance to the law school is through the main entrance of the building (clock tower entrance).

Appointments are now closed. Walk-ins only for Saturday, April 13, 2024.

The following tax information, as appropriate, is needed to complete tax forms:

  • REQUIRED: Birth dates and verification of social security number (SSN) for the taxpayer, spouse and any children born in the household on or before December 31, 2023. SSN verification can be a social security card or an official document from Social Security containing the FULL social security number OR Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for resident aliens.
    No photo copies or pictures on smart phone screens will be accepted.
  • REQUIRED: Photo ID for the primary taxpayers on the return.
  • REQUIRED: If a person plans on filing a joint tax return with their spouse, their spouse must physically come with them to the site or a power of attorney allowing the filing spouse to file the joint return must be completed.
  • PREFERRED: A copy of the last tax return filed.
  • REQUIRED (if applicable):
    • W-2 forms from all 2023 jobs
    • All 1099’s
      • 1099-G- unemployment benefits or a state refund in 2023
      • 1099-INT- interest received from a financial institution, or the year-end statement showing any interest
      • Any other 1099 forms including SSA-1099 (Social Security), 1099DIV, 1099-MISC, and 1099-NEC
      • 1099R- distributions from annuities, IRA’s, retirement plans, pensions, etc.
    • 1095 (health insurance forms)
    • 1098 (tuition)
    • Any IRS notices received in 2023 for any person on the tax return, and any current protection PIN numbers, if assigned
    • W-2G (Gambling income)
    • 2023 Property Tax statement or receipt if claiming Homestead Credit
    • If itemizing deductions- include medical expenses including insurance, property tax for home and car, mortgage interest and charitable donations
  • Routing and account number(s) where a refund will be direct deposited. We can view a check. No deposit slips.

Volunteers will NOT prepare:

  • Schedule C (Profit or Loss from a Business with expenses over $35,000).
  • Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses).
  • Schedule E (Rents and Royalties).
  • Schedule F.
  • Returns with virtual currency.
  • Form 8615 (Minor's Investment Income).
  • Returns for clients currently involved in a bankruptcy proceeding.

Appointment times are all filled. Walk-ins only available for Saturday, April 13, 2024.

See the 2024 Free Income Tax Assistance brochure (PDF; requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) for more information and other Shawnee County tax assistance times and locations, and the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library website for more information about filing federal and state income taxes and tax forms.

Short URL for this page:

Washburn Law is on Topeka Metro bus routes:

  • #7 (WASHBURN). Exit the bus near 21st Street and Washburn Ave at the E stop.
  • #21 (WEST 21ST). Exit the bus near 21st Street and Washburn Ave at the C stop.